One of my favorite cloud based applications is Voicethread, a powerful multimedia tool that connects voice and images. Capabilities include uploading and sharing documents, presentations, images and videos. Each upload is presented on an individual slide and voice comments are then “threaded” in using one of the following options: microphone, webcam, text, phone, or audio file upload. The result is a seamless multimedia creation that is easily shared via e-mail, unique URL, or embed.
Collaborative possibilities reach beyond a simple comment on an image. Educators can transform a lecture to a real time, online conversation. The comment feature encourages students to offer unique perspectives, leave feedback, and ask questions.
What does it look like in practice?
- K-5 classrooms can create collaborative online stories.
- Art classrooms can leave constructive feedback on individual work.
- Social studies classrooms can conduct an in depth analysis of historical images.
- Encourage a meaningful conversation about a current event. Guide students through a discussion about a controversial topic, encouraging respectful dialogue.
- Create visuals that accompany poetry and include narration.
- Math classroom can create tutorials on techniques and processes.
- Higher Ed can create tutorials and lectures.
With Voicethread, commenting or offering ideas is not limited to the outspoken or confident student. Comments can be made either in or outside of class using their Voicethread identity. Each comment is represented by a small icon that represents the student.
Voicethread fosters a new type of conversation by providing an innovative multimedia platform that promotes active engagement in the learning process.