Poster projects are a popular activity in the classroom. Aside from being fun to create, students enjoy displaying knowledge in a visual format. Poster projects foster creative thinking while promoting active engagement in the learning process. Designing posters the old-fashioned way can certainly facilitate learning, but web-based tools such as Glogster bring poster making to a new level.
Glogster Edu is a web-based tool that enables the user to create online, multimedia posters complete with links, video, sound, graphics, and text. These online posters called “glogs” can be shared through a wide variety of channels and offers educators a wide variety of monitoring options. Student accounts are easily managed through an educator dashboard.
- Allow students ample time to familiarize themselves with the tool. I have found that simple exploratory time in addition to modeling is most effective.
- Provide students with samples of glogs using Glogster’s Glogpedia. Discuss the different elements and themes.
- Discuss with students how to find appropriate media files for their Glogs.
- Glogster is considered a social networking site. Ensure your district allows for the use of this tool.
- Develop a rubric for your Glogster project. Ensure students understand what their expected learning outcome is.
Glogster is ideal to integrate 21st century skills into the curriculum. In addition to nurturing creativity, creating multimedia posters promotes a wide variety of media literacy skills using a collaborative digital environment.